Happy New Years.
It’s hard to believe we are already three days into 2017. I enjoy new beginnings, the turn of the calendar from December to January offers a fresh start a newness of possibilities. It’s the opportunity to wipe the slate clean and start over. I find myself reflecting on the previous year while considering ways I’ve grown or areas that need attention. I believe that we all have the desire to live a life that significantly matters. We want our lives to have a greater purpose and to impact others. Personally, I’m wired to grow by being a better wife, mother, and friend.
Every year I’d make New Year’s resolutions, only to forget about them by the end of February. Or maybe I got past the first couple of months but then, ugh! Life happens. The Unexpected.
I’ve done my fair share of goal-setting at the start of each New Year. My long list of resolutions rarely become a reality. I always had good intentions with my resolutions. While they sound like a good idea at the time, they frustrated me. Several years ago I was introduced to the idea of choosing only one word that would help navigate my days. It’s a one-word vision for the year that inspires me to live my best life and make the greatest impact.
So long to a long list of unattainable goals that often fell to the wayside by February.
Hello to intentionally living. My one word that would help me focus daily, all year long… One word that could sum up who I wanted to be and how I want to live for 2017. My one word that seems to appear everywhere from magazine covers to book titles.
My past words have included
- My word for 2017 is viagra generico online prezzo piu basso a Verona SIMPLIFY
These words shape not only my year but also my life. Each word became the compass that directed decisions and guided my steps.
Here are five easy steps to begin your journey with allowing ONE WORD to be your guide for 2017
- Evaluate your previous year. Spend quiet time alone considering areas where you would like to grow and what to take hold of. There is no need to rush as you can begin anytime. As 2016 was coming to an end, I seemed to be continually sensing the need to simplify my life especially after lots of volunteering along with family health issues and the holidays. I’m a people pleaser and perfectionist which translates into saying yes at the cost of not caring for myself and family. I found myself wanting life to be simpler but how?
- Choose just one word or better yet allow God to reveal your word for the year. There is no right or wrong word. You can’t mess this up. It’s a journey of discovering how to allow your chosen word to impact your life.
- Consider and apply chosen word as it relates to the six major areas of your life to maintain balance.
- Find accountability by sharing your word with others especially family members. Keep your one-word front and center. As a family, we have each chosen a word (dedication and focus) and talked about it. Prominently display your selected word. I have purchased my previous words on artwork that I display in my to see it often. The word “love” is a light marque that hangs above our fireplace. I’ve considered tattooing love on my arm as I learn so much more about what love is and is not.
- Be open to allowing the one word to transform your life. Once I chose the word SIMPLIFY back in December I started seeing it everywhere. Last week while sitting at the doctor’s office with my hubby I picked up the magazine RealSimple for January 2017. The above photo was on the cover so I took a picture and added the word simplify. Ironically this morning as I was doing my bible study the questions I was to answer were, “why is it so hard to simplify life” and “why do you think we try to impress people with more rather than less”? My word SIMPLIFY keeps appearing. It’s with anticipation and excitement that I allow the word SIMPLIFY to direct my thinking and days.